Our dance program focuses on developing a strong foundation in dance from professional instructors with an emphasis on Ballet technique. We also offer Creative Movement, Pre-Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary, Tap and Hip-Hop classes as well.
As students develop, they will have the opportunity to take their performance skills to the next level and audition for our performing group – LKN Perform Dance Ensemble. The Dance Ensemble performs numerous times a year around the area and are also featured in both our Christmas and Spring Performances.
- Classes for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners
Preschool classes are available in Creative Movement and Pre-Ballet. Kindergarten classes are available in Ballet and Tap. These classes help young children develop gross motor skills, enhance their focus and concentration, develop listening skills that will assist in their success in school and feel a sense of accomplishment at an early age. In addition the discipline and appreciation of the performing arts is a priceless asset that will stay with your child throughout their life. The students will showcase their skills in a winter and spring performance.
Classical Ballet and Pointe
Our ballet classes focus on creating a strong foundation through proper alignment and the introduction of skills when both developmentally appropriate. Our goal is to teach your child complete body control in the same way the schools teach your child to read – one step at a time. We expect our students to be able to execute the steps properly as well as know the correct ballet terminology.
Ballet is the hardest dance form to learn but it is the one that gives your child the most. If your child doesn’t take ballet, please consider it. Ballet instills discipline and concentration that will last their lifetime, and has been proven to help children do better in school.
You should definitely consider your child taking a second ballet class each week. It is much easier to become proficient if you practice and take class more than once a week. If your child is serious about ballet, carefully consider this second class.
Pointe is begun when your child is twelve years old or older and has developed strong muscles and good ballet technique. Students continue to take ballet while taking Pointe. You must have permission of the instructor to begin pointe.
Amongst technique classes, dancers also study classical variations, partnering and dance conditioning.
Tap and Jazz
Classes in tap and jazz are offered from beginner through advanced level. Tap classes are 30 minutes each week. Tap classes focus on the origins of tap resulting in students gaining a solid foundation in this style. Our Jazz classes concentrate on classical Jazz technique. The Jazz classes are 30 minutes each week. Both Tap and Jazz classes are scheduled either before or after a regular ballet technique class.
Hip hop, the street form of jazz. It is a popular style of dance. We will offer 3 levels of this class. This is an hour class for beginner, intermediate and advanced students.
Contemporary/ Modern Dance
Modern dance is a type of dance that evolved as rebellion to ballet. The class is taken without shoes and has an emphasis on creativity and body control. This is a 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minute class for children 10 years of age and older.
We also offer Adult classes in Ballet, Tap & Hip-Hop. This is a great way to stay in shape or learn something new.
Dance Studio Policies
Please note the following guidelines regarding all classes:
1. We request that students carefully observe our dress code.
2. Any student arriving more than 15 minutes late will not be admitted to class. For your safety and to receive full benefit from your class, please arrange for a make-up class if you expect to be very late.
3. All students are encouraged not to leave the room once class has begun. Please allow for appropriate restroom use prior to class. Very young children will be treated sensitively as the need arises. Preschool children may need a parent’s attention from time to time for various reasons including bathroom or behavior issues. Please do not leave the waiting room when very young children are in class without informing the office or having another parent responsible during your absence. We make every effort to have all children feel safe and cared for in a loving and inspiring learning environment.
5. School age children and teens: please practice respect. Students are not to be socializing in a disruptive manner during the class with other students. Please come early or stay late to enjoy friends in the waiting area. Please honor your teacher and fellow students by giving full attention and co-operation. You will be advised if we feel any student is not well adjusted to the classroom environment for any reason over time.
6. During class if a student complains of being ill, or sustains an injury and cannot participate, the instructor will send them to the office were the parents will be notified if not on the premises.
7. Other students, parents and friends can observe class in our waiting area. We do not however allow individuals to sit in the classroom. It is distracting to the students in the class.
8. No street shoes in the dance studios.
We reserve the right to provide a substitute teacher if the regularly scheduled teacher is ill or otherwise unable to teach classes. If a teacher is ill and the school cannot arrange a substitute any missed classes will be made up.
There is a $35 per family registration fee due every school year.
There is a $20 late fee if tuition is paid after the 5th of the month. There is a $30 dollar penalty for returned checks.
We reserve the right to stop lessons if we are not paid. If payment is not made upfront by the 3rd scheduled lesson the lessons will stop immediately on the day of the 3rd lesson.
After the first lesson we do not give refunds under any circumstance. No exceptions. If you decide to not pursue lessons after a couple of classes, you are still responsible for the entire payment of the month, and you will not get a refund however you will be able to apply a credit to another class or lesson.
Dance class is education and fun, however, an important part of class work is developing an attitude of discipline and respect for teachers and fellow students. We trust that following our classroom etiquette will provide an environment whereby classes at Lake Norman Performing Arts will be a pleasure for everyone!